How I Emerged As a Wedding Photographer in Sydney

Sydney is a beautiful city, and the most populated city in Australia. It is no surprise that it is full of emerging and established wedding photographers. But before you get discouraged, remember that the demand is also very high. Additionally, every wedding photographer is on his or her own journey, and clients will look for what they like. Therefore it doesn't matter, in my opinion, that there are many photographers out there. You only need to be the right photographer for the potential clients you come across.

In my experience, I've discovered that to become a successful wedding photographer you don't need the best and latest in photography equipment. You don't need a studio, or even a great website. You simply need to know people well, learn fast, and take things in small steps.

I started wedding photography as a hobby. I knew that I could not compete with established photographers right away, so I did not try to do so. I started by doing assistant photography jobs for free, and built up a portfolio, and showcased my work on my website, and snapped at every opportunity afforded me for the next job through word of mouth.

Then the importance of knowing people kicked in. I used those new client meetings as real opportunities to engage with them and understand what they wanted. I marketed my status as an emerging photographer in Sydney and explained the benefits: cheaper packages, more creativity and the willingness to be flexible. I emphasised the positives of an emerging photographer, rather than the negatives. More often than not, I found that clients were willing to go with me simply because I was new.

That's been my story. Sydney is a peculiar place because there is such a diverse mix of cultures. There are many tourist locations which are the main landmarks of photoshoots in Sydney. There are also Sydney's lesser known attractions for wedding photography such as side lane alleys at the Rocks, parklands at Centennial Park, and urban locations in Glebe and Petersham which have a more vintage feel. I recommend these places and to diversify them as is allowed by your wedding photoshoots.

Also remember to be patient. Becoming a photographer means small steps. You'll gain clients, as well as lose some. Don't be daunted by the first couple of shoots you do on your own. Give the impression that you are confident, even though you may be scared. I am still scared on my shoots!. And do not be discouraged at the turn out of your first few shoots as well.